The Idaho Library Association Annual Conference participants were challenged by nationally-known library futurist Joan Frye Williams to view librarianship as tranformative. Rather than looking at the traditions, rules, and perceptions of librarians — view librarianship through the following filters:
Joan noted that the reality is technology “jerks” you around — human nature is more reliable, more predictable — and gives you lots to ponder and smile at!
She charged the group to
- create an enticing environment where people want to be
- provide more sharing opportunities — less guarding
- make browsing easier
- accomodate exceptions — they will happen — one rule does not fit all!
- provide more tools, less rules
- allow people to come to libraries via their way
- serve as a first responder — allow anyone who works in the library to provide service
- thank everyone for their service — not their time!
- convene community conversations — allow the community to describe the cake rather than just provide the ingrediants
For more thought-provoking, conversation generating audio, listen to “Thinking OutLoud” — engaging conversations between Joan Frye Williams and George Needham.
- Underutilized Library Skills
- Going Back to Schools
- Some Big Existential Questions
- Amazing Developments in Libraryland
There are many others — listen, think, and enjoy!